This is a great example of a dish that can be prepared on a weeknight without taking over the whole evening. The ingredients are very simple, and many of them are winter staples that you probably have sitting around in your pantry or fridge.
In addition, delicata squash makes a great choice here. It can be roasted and eaten without peeling, significantly cutting down preparation time. Once the squash is in the oven, the whole meal comes together in 30 minutes or less.
After a busy thanksgiving, this dish is a welcome vacation from long hours in the kitchen.
Pasta with Winter Squash and Kale Recipe
- 6 0z. penne pasta
- 1 delicata squash, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/3 inch slices
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 kale leaves, stemmed and chopped
- splash of white wine
- 4 oz. ricotta cheese
- pecorino cheese, to taste
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss delicata squash with 1 tbsp of olive oil and place on a lined (or greased) baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until squash can be easily pierced with a fork.
- In the meantime, heat remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute more.
- Add chopped kale to the skillet. stir until kale begins to wilt, about 5 minutes. If desired, add a splash of wine during the last minute of cooking.
- Add the cooked squash and pasta to the skillet. Stir in ricotta and pecorino cheese and serve.
Makes 3 servings.